Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The cow as white as milk, the cape as red as blood

We went to see a production of Into the Woods at Santa Monica College. It wasn't bad. I would say it was noticeable that the Witch wasn't Bernadette Peters, and also the spear-carrier actors with just a couple of lines had less talent than I would expect in a professional production. But for all the rest of the cast in between the biggest and smallest parts, I thought they compared favorably to professionals.

Whether or not a cow is a good trade for five magic beans, I used to think that one denarius would buy you ten asses. Well, that is what the name means, but (I now discover) it didn't mean ten four-legged asses, it meant ten copper coins called asses. A copper as would buy a few loaves of bread.

3 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger WestBerkeleyFlats said...

I once attended a performance of "Into the Woods" with Alice Chou. Man, that song really gets into your head. I think that was why Andrew Yaphe wasn't attending.

 
At 2:13 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Matt Bruce said...

You mean songs (plural), right? Otherwise which one gets stuck the most? "Your Fault"? "Agony"?

Fantastic musical though.

P.S. My word verification for this comment seems to be "xqanowx" but it's hard to tell for sure. If you see this then I was right.

 
At 10:37 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger WestBerkeleyFlats said...

I was referring to the prologue in which various characters say things along the lines of:

"Into the woods!
Into the woods!
Into the woods,
Then out of the woods,
And home before dark!"

Then again, my tolerance for musicals is limited, although perhaps slightly higher than Andrew who had had his fill of Sondheim with "Assassins."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home