Monday, May 29, 2006

He's a lumberjack and he's okay

I'm watching an old Monty Python's Flying Circus episode and the Lumberjack song was not rendered in the way that I'm familiar with it from Monty Python CDs. It referred to "dear mama" instead of "dear papa," and "rugged" instead of "butch."

I guess this shouldn't be surprising, since the Pythons have no doubt performed this bit somewhere between one thousand and ten thousand times, and one can easily see how "papa" would be substituted as an improvement on "mama."

I find little changes like that distracting, as when movie scenes differ from what was shown in the trailer or TV commercials.

1 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Richard Mason said...

Yes, I have occasionally noticed a shot in a trailer or commercial which doesn't appear in the movie (presumably it ended up on the cutting room floor).

Even more commonly, I think, the audio will be differently edited for the movie and the commercial, so sometimes a line will be read differently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home