Monday, January 09, 2006

10.4 Good Buddy

I finally Tigered up...

I'm not sure it was very useful or necessary to upgrade the laptop (which had been running Panther) but I was more-or-less forced to upgrade the iMac, which was back on Puma. To my irritation, the Puma Mac couldn't use Blogger, it couldn't play Weboggle, and the final, most serious straw, since the iMac is intended to be our media center, it could no longer download music from the iTunes Music Store!

It's bad enough for third-party websites to be incompatible with few-year-old Mac operating systems, but for Apple itself to stop supporting the OS it sold less than four years ago is lame.

I had already ordered the Tiger upgrade pack before I discovered this, so there was no point in angstfully worrying whether buying Tiger was rewarding Apple for their bad behavior.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, January 12, 2006, Blogger Richard Mason said...

Why not just use the CDs that presumably came with the laptop to reinstall the iMac's OS?

Hmm. I didn't try that, on the theory that the laptop came with a single-computer license for Panther. For the same reason, I bought the "family pack" multi-computer license for Tiger, not a single license. Was I hopelessly naive?

My first reaction to actually using Dashboard was disappointment, since I find 95% of available widgets to be lame. But I suppose what's important is whether you find the top 1% of widgets useful. I do like the weather forecast widget and the language translation widget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home