Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Man Without A Country

Did you know Kurt Vonnegut has not written a book since 1999? Until this one, which is a collection of essays that he's written elsewhere. As you might expect from the title, the running theme is Vonnegut's dissatisfaction with the current U.S. administration.

The essays in A Man Without A Country are okay. Some better than okay. But I was disappointed. It's one of those thin books that really shouldn't cost $23.95 retail. I had already read some of the better essays--on the Internet, I guess. And in at least one case, the version I read on the Internet was better than the one in the book.

3 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Matt Bruce said...

Vonnegut went crazy in his old age. (Though you shouldn't be surprised I'd opine this, given the difference between his opinion of the current administration and mine.) Woody Allen also did. There may be others but those are the two most notable.

 
At 12:18 AM, December 17, 2005, Blogger warisill said...

Did you see KV on the Daily Show? I thought he was pretty funny, still. It's good to see him still up and about.

I still have my very first copy of Cat's Cradle that I read in tenth grade.

 
At 2:01 PM, December 17, 2005, Blogger Richard Mason said...

Vonnegut went crazy in his old age.

I prefer to be surprised that you'd opine this, since it is baseless and uncharitable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home