Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Catch-22

I read Catch-22 in high school and I thought it was about the greatest book ever written.

Then many years passed during which I didn't read the book again. And during the last decade, every so often I would encounter snarky comments about Catch-22. "Yes, I liked it as a teenager, who doesn't, but I found it wore thin when I read it again." That sort of thing.

I became afraid to read the book again.

But, I finally did, and it holds up fine. Actually, I had forgotten how it ended... The ending is great, I'm not sure I fully appreciated the ending the first time through. This is one of the best books ever written.

Conclusion: People who don't like Catch-22 must be stupid.

I was pleased to find that students at the Air Force Academy aren't stupid.

5 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, December 06, 2005, Blogger Ashbloem said...

I loved this book in high school. Loved.

I am glad to hear it holds up, as I haven't read it since then either, but I have to say, I can't imagine that it wouldn't. I remember it being quality satirical fiction. And as long as there are dumb wars, that shit will hold up.

You are right: people who say otherwise must be stupid.

I'm off to re-read it now.

 
At 11:58 AM, December 06, 2005, Blogger beam aims north said...

I'm stupid.

 
At 12:58 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger Ashbloem said...

Oops!

Guess I'd really better re-read it now.

 
At 8:49 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger Richard Mason said...

WHAT?!?

 
At 9:06 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger beam aims north said...

You say "Catch-22," I say "Eh."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home