Friday, November 25, 2005

Games of Chance

It is a curious fact that very few people know the full rules of Monopoly. People don't know that if a player lands on an unowned property and doesn't buy it, then the property is auctioned off. They don't know about the requirement to pay 10% interest when you buy an already mortgaged property. Some people do funny things with Free Parking or have other misconceptions.

I would bet that 95% of all Monopoly games played fail to comply with the official rules in one way or another.

We played Monopoly at Thanksgiving and I won (YEE-HAW!). This Monopoly game might have been the most compliant with the rules that I have ever played. We still didn't get it 100% right because we forgot the surcharge on purchased mortgaged property at one point. But we were close.

I have had good results with luck-based party games recently. On Saturday I was introduced to Fluxx, which is a fun low-effort card game, and I won twice.

Sadly this luck hasn't extended to poker, which cost me a little money this week. I guess poker must not be a game of chance.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, November 25, 2005, Blogger Matt Bruce said...

Fluxx is a FANTASTIC party game. It feels like a deep strategy game but you can't think too hard because overthinking it doesn't accomplish anything.

As for Monopoloy, my experience had been almost the opposite of Jordan's, with the 10% mortgage surcharge consistently levied but sometimes the auction forgotten about.

One time (I forget where) I was in a game where we did correctly carry out the auction but more than one player seemed not to realize that any property is clearly worth bidding at least its mortgage value.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home