Thursday, March 31, 2005

Zoe Crosher

Landing in LAX I noticed a display of photographs by Zoe Crosher. These photographs were all taken out of hotel and motel windows in the LAX area. They all show planes coming in to land at LAX. Generally, the plane is small, but in focus, while the curtains and the air conditioner and whatever else is visible of the hotel room are out of focus.

There was also some accompanying blather about Los Angeles having no center, and motion in Los Angeles being like breathing, or not being like breathing, or something.

On the one hand, I guess I'm glad that people put up artwork and photographs in places like airports to try to make them more interesting.

On the other hand, give me a break. These photos look like ones I would have taken when I was ten (and possibly might still take today), very interested in getting this little plane in the picture and too bad about the big fuzzy windowsill that gets in the way. And as for being impressed by the indexical qualities of the photograph and the soaring plane suspended in flight, [so that] we sense the traveler's presence beyond the visible scene through a moment of revelatory self-recognition, I don't buy it. Also, I think the display said she spent three years taking these photographs, about thirty of them. What the hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home