Monday, October 16, 2006

Does that make me crazy? Possibly

We watched the movie version of Proof with Gwyneth Paltrow and Anthony Hopkins. I mean Gwyneth and Anthony were in the movie, not watching it with us.

Amazingly, the movie discards one of the best lines of the play, when Catherine is talking to her dead father about whether or not she's going crazy, and he remarks that the fact that she's talking to him is "not a good sign."

Also, the funeral scene in the movie, not present in the play, comes close to spoiling the plot and seems to violate the "show, don't tell" rule with Catherine just explaining from the podium how she feels about things.

So, I liked the play a bit better than the movie.

Gwyneth Paltrow's version of Catherine still reminded me of Mary-Louise Parker, and once again I had to wonder about the chain of causality there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home