Thursday, February 23, 2006

Big Picture

We made a small donation to CALPIRG last year, and yesterday they sent me a survey listing items on their agenda and asking me to rank them in terms of priority.

I filled out the survey, then they showed me the results from 254 respondents.

Unfortunately my suggested ranking of priorities was pretty much 180-degrees away from the majority of respondents.

I thought that CALPIRG should agitate for small, specific things, like greater transparency in cell phone bills.

Most people thought that was least important, and CALPIRG's top priority should be broad-stroke stuff, like "ensure that our tax dollars are spent wisely."

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Last summer, an enthusiastic young woman knocked on my door to invite me to contribute to NCPIRG. I had a vaguely positive impression of CalPIRG, so signed up. Since then, I've been on their e-mail list and have become more aware of what they actually advocate. While I agree with some of it, I feel much of their environmental rhetoric is overstated, and I have disagreed with some of their supposedly pro-consumer stances as well. I doubt I'll renew my membership.

 
At 7:43 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Richard Mason said...

I'm also skeptical of CALPIRG's drive (which they say is their Top Priority) to stop testing of pesticides on humans.

If there are indeed problems with these tests, it seems one would want to do better tests... not no tests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home