Wednesday, August 06, 2008

It don't matter if you're black or white

I lost my cell phone a while back. (Now you know why I haven't been returning your calls.) Today I bought an iPhone. I have a new phone number: available upon request.

The 16GB iPhone comes in black or white. (The cheaper 8GB iPhone only comes in black. The store didn't have any of those in stock anyway.)

I decided to get white because it seemed more distinctive, more Apple-like, and perhaps more visible on a typical cluttered desk.

I was standing in line outside the Apple store to buy this phone. The girl behind me was standing in line for her boyfriend while he roamed around inside the store. He comes out and says, "They say that the black shows scratches but the white doesn't show scratches as much!" He was excited about getting white. But the girlfriend says, "Why would you get white... if you were a guy? If I were a guy, I would get black." Somebody asks, "If a guy got white, what would you think of him?" She says, "He's my boyfriend, so I have to accept him either way. But I think he has to get black."

By the time the guy gets to the end of the line, he scrunches up his face sadly and says, "I guess I have to get black." In order to maintain his Batman image, I guess.

I got my distinctive white iPhone anyway. I'm happy with it so far.

4 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, August 07, 2008, Blogger Kathryn said...

That seems weird to me; I've never thought of white as a feminine colour. However, Seong agrees with the girlfriend and thinks black is definitely more masculine.

 
At 12:39 PM, August 07, 2008, Blogger beam aims north said...

I slightly prefer the black, but not because white is too girly.

The front of the phone with the touch screen is black; there isn't any white on the front of it. So the white back looks a little like somebody snapped the wrong color plastic on. The black looks a little more streamlined and I find it more aesthetically appealing. But the difference is small.

 
At 8:44 PM, August 07, 2008, Blogger Scott said...

[My distaff complement] Carrie and I stopped at Staples on the way home from the Apple store last week; she decorated her new white iPhone with Sharpie markers in a variety of festive colors.

 
At 1:51 PM, June 19, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious how the Sharpie stood up on the iPhone? Did it smear? Fade? Rub off?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home