Wednesday, May 23, 2007

There is no fear in this dojo

Another trivia night at the pub. We had a couple of empty seats at our table, and halfway through we were unexpectedly joined by Alan Tudyk and his girlfriend Abby. Alan is best known, to me anyway, as the guy who played the pilot Wash on Firefly. Bridget the waitress asked him if he was Steve the Pirate. "My name's Alan, but I played Steve the Pirate." [Apparently in the movie Dodgeball which I haven't seen. --Ed. note.]

One of the quiz questions was, "What was the name of the enchanter in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? And what was the name of the character who determined whether people were witches or not?" I quickly wrote down the answers.

Alan and Abby, it turns out, met when they were both in the cast of Spamalot, in which Alan played Tim the Enchanter. They were amused that I'd answered both parts of the question while they were still trying to remember, "What was the name of Steve's character again?" Hey dude, you've got to be faster than that if you want to get the Monty Python questions around here.

In unrelated news, I've had the song Sweep the Leg by No More Kings stuck in my head all day long.

3 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Mike J. said...

I was saw a bit of an episode of "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush" where there was a Rick Springfield trivia contest between Rick Springfield and a deranged fan. The fan won, partly because she rang in first on 'When was Rick Springfield born?'

 
At 10:46 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Jordan said...

I'm not sure what to make of this. Does this mean that he's a bad actor because he doesn't care enough about the part to even learn the character's name? Or is he so prolific and flexible that he's been in so many roles he can't remember one in particular?

Nevertheless, a great story.

 
At 1:14 PM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Richard Mason said...

They knew the name of the character that Alan himself had played; the delay was in remembering the name of the second character.

I regret that in this short story the name "Steve" occurs twice in reference to two different people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home