Saturday, July 09, 2005

A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science, and Love

It has been almost eleven months since I first started reading it, but I finally got through A Devil's Chaplain. Richard Dawkins took a lot of shorter things he had written over the years (magazine articles, book reviews, grocery lists, etc.) and collected them in this book. This is a package of ground beef, so to speak, offered for sale alongside the steak of his other books.

Now, I am a big Dawkins fan. I've read most of his books. I think the reason it took me so long to finish this one is that it's not breaking much new ground. I felt even within this collection, some of the pieces were repeating the same points.

So, not especially highly recommended. I guess if you want to read everything Dawkins ever wrote, then you have to cover this eventually. But if you're not near Dawkins-completion, you're probably better off with one of his book-length books.

There are two pieces in A Devil's Chaplain about the untimely death of Douglas Adams, and in one of them Dawkins mentions that he met his current wife at Adams's fortieth birthday party, and that Adams and his wife "had worked together on Doctor Who." Elsewhere in the book he refers to "my wife Lalla." Still, I did not realize until doing some semi-related googling that his wife is Lalla Ward, better known as Romana #2!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home